Saturday, August 15, 2009

Finally Here

So I thought I had this time difference thing all worked out, but at four a.m. and two Benadryl later, I am still wide awake. Time for a blog update!

Jamie and I made it in late Wednesday night. We were two hours late, thanks to our fellow passengers that were meandering around the Paris airport somewhere, holding up the departure of the plane. No need to just leave without them (perhaps the more logical choice by American standards), as that would require finding their luggage underneath the plane. So we waited….and waited some more. This concept of “African time” has begun! Joy =)

Since my arrival a mere two days ago it still feels somewhat surreal that I am actually here. I first heard about Mercy Ships over two years ago and got really excited about going at that time. But the more I prayed about it then, the more God changed my heart and made me sad about leaving my job at Phoenix Children’s Hospital. So I stayed. Now, two and a half years later, after much more prayer and confirmation, I know this is where I’m supposed to be, and I love it. I love meeting all these people here and I love learning their stories. I love that I constantly have to steady myself as the ship sways back and forth all day long (which, by the way, makes for a very interesting attempt at an early morning Tae Bo session.) I love that if I want, I can catch up with old friends over ice cream on deck seven as the smell of the ocean air envelops us. I really just love soaking in the newness of it all. I am finally here.

If you know me well, I’ve probably whipped out one of my quote books in discussion. Perhaps a tad bit corny, but I think they are great. I thought I'd share this one I came across recently, as I think it really exemplifies the mindset of those here. It's called "A Benediction":

"May God bless you with discomfort at easy answers, half truths, and superficial relationships, so that you may live deep within your heart. May God bless you with anger at injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people, so that you may work for justice, freedom, and peace. May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation, and war, so that you may reach out your hand to comfort them and to turn their pain into joy. And may God bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you can make a difference in this world, so that you can do what others claim cannot be done." ~ Unknown

I've barely gotten my feet wet here on the Africa Mercy, but I've seen what a cool group of people these folks are. They do really amazing things. Call me foolish, but I’m so happy to be here amongst them.

No comments:

Post a Comment