Monday, August 10, 2009

Leaving On A Jet Plane


Well here I am, sitting at Phoenix Sky Harbor waiting to board my plane via Atlanta, Paris and then on to Cotonou, Benin - my home for the many months ahead! A quick recap of my summer since my last post:
I finished up my four weeks of Mercy Ships training in Lindale TX. The last week was basic safety training which involved fighting fires (literally) and water safety principles. My appreciation for fire fighters has grown exponentially since wearing the ridiculously hot and heavy fire gear all day in the humid TX heat!

Here is where all the magic happened- we fought fires inside this container and even managed to drag out a 165 pound dummy (sort of drag - more like step on him in the thick smoke and fall over and kill him first. My bad).


Trying on the self contained breathing apparatus equipment



and happy to be done!


I then headed home to MN (via Oklahoma to visit Jamie) to visit with the fam, get a little cabin sun time in and say goodbye. My motivation to take photos is diminishing so no MN pics unfortunately.

Jamie and I in downtown Oklahoma City

Next stop Phoenix - to say goodbye to friends and and take care of last minute Africa plans. Highlight: my fabulous goodybe soiree/clothing swap with work friends (Thanks Kyr!!) So fun!
I then headed up to Camp Rainbow in Prescott for a week of fun with the kiddos from the Cancer Center. Here, many of the PCH staff on our messy night. Nice and clean beforehand....


...and after


So after a commissioning at church last night and a final dinner at Oreganos

(some of the folks from dinner here)


I am finally, after two years of wanting to do this, off to Africa. It's a strage mix of emotions: pure joy and excitement, fear and sadness all wrapped up into the pit of my stomach! Ahhh! But I really believe that this is where I am supposed to be and I am excited to see how this all unfolds. More to come soon!

1 comment: