Friday, September 11, 2009

Blood Donation Done A Little Differently

Here on the Africa Mercy we each have the opportunity to be blood donors. At any given moment, your name could be called over the PA system to go to the lab to give your blood to someone in need right then and there. Last Thursday afternoon, my day came as I was sitting in my weekly work meeting and heard my name being called. Due to my travel history I haven’t been able to give blood for years in the states. However, here in Africa the need to protect the patients from Malaria isn’t nearly as relevant, so donating blood African style isn’t really an issue.

As the lab tech was drawing my blood, I really appreciated the nurse who came in and said “dang it, I’m so sad I missed the needle stick. I never see needles this big! We don’t use these in peds!” Very comforting. Five hundred mls lighter, I sat drinking my coke as my still-warm whole blood was transported directly to the OR for the patient in surgery.

The best part about blood donation on the Africa Mercy is that we have the opportunity to meet and hang out with the recipients of our donation after their surgeries. My blood went to a lady named Iyabo. She had a huge benign tumor removed from the side of her head and then had some skin grafted from her thigh. Here on the ward, the concept of HIPPA somewhat goes out the window as everyone shares a communal room, not to mention constant interaction with all those in your five foot radius. So what was intended as a get to know you visit with Iyabo soon turned into a Jenga-fest on the B ward as the ladies in the neighboring beds laughed as we played game after game of Jenga. Whether it be sharing in a game of Jenga or sharing some blood, life here on the Africa Mercy never ceases to amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment