Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Why I Wear Shoes In Africa

A concrete ledge about two feet wide sits along one side of our dock. It protects us from falling into the ocean below. When you sit on the ledge you look out to this:
It’s become a new favorite spot of mine when I just want to get off the ship and get away from folks. The breeze is cool and it’s refreshing to take in this wide expanse that has no visible end. It reminds me of Malibu (minus the ever-present ocean debris and the constant smell of garbage).

So this weekend, as Jamie and I were doing some Beth Moore on this ledge and enjoying the peaceful scenery, I glanced behind me onto the dock to see an African woman, about fifty years old, legs spread and squatting with her colorful African dress hiked up. Yep that’s right folks - she was peeing on the concrete next to my new favorite spot. It was only a matter of seconds before the smell of her urine made its way over to us sitting so contently. Small bladders are quite the trend here let me tell you. It's the little things like this that remind me that I am in Africa. This happens all the time and it shouldn't surprise me anymore. But it still does. I’m not quite sure how long it will take before I'm used to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment