Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Food Market in Pictures

Recently my friend Rachel and I went to the Lome food market.  Many Africans buy the majority of their daily food intake inside this open air market.   With mainly imported goods in the grocery stores, the food is expensive even by American standards (ie: a standard cereal costs about $5 a box). I thought I'd share a few photos from our afternoon at the market, as I think the pictures speak for themselves!

One stall = one stop shopping


An aesthetic display of fish


This is cow skin - used to flavor soups and stews


Another African favorite - large fried rats


..and who would want fried rats without some veggies and peppers on top for flavor?


Multiple types of cereal grains and beans - an African staple


unidentified spice packets galore


...and finally, at the end of the market we found some chickens lounging at the feet of their owners while awaiting purchase.


As a dietitian, I love learning about food traditions and practices of different cultures. This year out and about in Africa I've experienced my fair share of food surprises from bugs in foods where bugs don’t belong to my leftovers being offered on my plate to the table next door after I’m finished. After my recent visit to the food market, I think my perspective on African cuisine is even further substantiated; I can say without a doubt that my sense of adventure for eating all things African is diminishing quickly!

1 comment:

  1. did you try the large fried rat? sounds nasty

    ReplyDelete